By: Brent Bronner
During a recent company training we pre-planned a local strip-mall. When we were looking at the back of the building we noticed that the mortar holding the bricks together at the bottom of the parapet wall was missing. After snapping a couple quick photos we came up with a few questions for you to use.
- How are you spotting parapet walls? Are you using building features such as scupper drains, throwing a ladder and taking a look for your self, surveying the area from an aerial device, or just using the knowledge of a veteran?
- Are you studying the building on your 360, checking for missing mortar in this case, or just looking for the obvious?
- Are you thinking about keeping people out of collapse zones with the areas in question, as well as down the line incase of a domino effect?
- Could you have the possibility of utilities being pulled down, or other parts of the building?
- How tall is the parapet wall and will you need another ladder to get down the other side?
Pass it on!